Taxes and Licenses

Business Occupational License Fees

All persons operating a business within the City of Crestview Hills are required to obtain a Business License through the Kenton County Occupational Department regardless of whether this is a one-time project or if you are running a business from a location within the city (home or business location)

To obtain a Business License, please complete the Kenton County and Cities Occupational License Application and deliver to the Kenton County Administration Building, located at:

1840 Simon Kenton Way
Suite 5200
Covington, KY 41011
Phone: (859) 392-1400
Fax : (859) 392-1412

Additionally, each business entity (including home businesses, individual proprietors, and operators of rental properties) within the City must file annual occupational license return and pay a quarterly payroll tax in those businesses compensating employees.

Payroll Tax Withholding

The City imposes a payroll tax of 1.15% of all employee compensation (capped at the Social Security limit, which is currently $137,700 for 2020) for labor, work, or services provided within the City of Crestview Hills up to the FICA limit.

Businesses must file a quarterly return form by January 31, April 30, July 31, and October 31. Additionally, businesses must file their Annual Payroll Reconciliation by January 31 for the previous calendar year.

Gross Receipts/ Business License Fees

The City imposes a gross receipts tax of .075% (or .00075) of gross receipts collected by every business, person, or entity, other than employees, who are engaged in any franchise, trade, occupation, profession, or other business in the City.  Businesses must file their annual return four months after each business’ year end or by April 30, if the calendar year is used.

Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) License

As a fourth class city, Crestview Hills may regulate the sale, storage, purchase or transport of alcoholic beverages within the corporate limits. All firms that are engaged in the sale or storage of alcoholic beverages, including distilled spirits and malt beverages are required to first obtain a license from the City.

Crestview Hills charges an annual license fee based on the categories of available licenses defined by the State of Kentucky under KRS 242. Businesses planning to offer alcoholic beverages must first obtain a licensing form from the State Alcoholic Beverage Control Office. Once the proper licenses have been identified from the State form, the business must then complete the City Alcoholic Beverage license.

The City of Crestview Hills will also grant temporary alcohol licenses for special events. All events in the City that provide alcohol are required to first obtain a one-day license.

Licenses are reviewed by the City's Distilled Spirits and Malt Beverage Administrator.Reviews and approvals usually take three calendar days. Once the local ABC administrator has signed the State application form, it may be forwarded to the State of Kentucky for final approval.

To get an application for the City Alcoholic Beverage license, please visit: Crestview Hills ABC License. Applications must include a check payable to the City of Crestview Hills for the amount of the applicable license(s).